Causes of Dog Skin Allergies and Alternative Options
Dog skin allergies is something we see very often with our dogs at K9 Revive. It seems to effect both small and large dogs. There are a variety of factors involved which cause skin allergies in our dogs.
What Causes Skin Allergies in Dogs?
Atopic Dermatitis is an inflammatory response where the immune system is hypersensitive to a particular substance, also known as an allergen.
Certain breeds with sensitive skin are more susceptible to skin allergies. Dogs typically develop skin allergies between 1-6 years old, but the skin issues can be very mild when they are young and become considerably worse as they age.
Common Signs of Dog Skin Allergies
- Constant scratching, itching, or licking
- Rubbing against furniture
- Redness, patchy fur, or tough skin due to continuous scratching
- Respiratory issues (i.e. constant coughing or wheezing)
Common Areas Affected in Dogs
- Base of tail
Most Common Causes of Skin Allergies
- Fleas (Flea Allergy Dermatitis) - Most common dermatalogic disease for domestic dogs in the U.S. A study has shown FAD increasing by 13% in the last decade.
- Seasonal Allergens (i.e. pollen)
- Environmental Allergens (i.e. household chemicals or synthetic fibers)
- Food Allergens - For most dogs skin and gastrointestinal problems are not usually a result of a food allergy, but a response to an environmental allergen. If a dog has difficulty digesting a certain ingredient that is a food intolerance, whereas a food allergen triggers an immune response.
- Sensitivity to a benign bacteria or fungi
- Genetic predisposition - Some breeds just have it in their DNA. The dogs we have treated most often with skin allergies have been Bulldogs, Miniature Poodles, and Terriers.
Alternative Options for Skin Allergies
- K9 Revive Dog Supplement - This has been the #1 most common product used for dogs dealing with skin allergy issues. The dog supplement has a growth matrix along with non-inflammatory constituents. Our dogs scratch less and begin healing from the inside to the outside. Here is a video testimonial with Gus regarding his two American Bulldogs.
- Ozone Skin Salve - If the body has inflammation or stress and cannot handle it properly, free radicals have their way and create havoc. Ozone changes the environment from anaerobic (disease) to aerobic (health). Ozone is a free radical scavenger on harmful substances, stimulates growth for skin cells, and is effective against bacteria and fungus. This has been a great product to use only for those dogs dealing with particular areas that show skin inflammation.
- PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field) - PEMF boosts the immune system, increases oxygen production and blood flow circulation which reduces inflammation. Not all our dogs have access to the PEMF since they need to be local or purchase a quality PEMF. But this would be the trifecta to use all three products together.
For the majority of dogs incorporating our K9 Revive Dog Supplement is the easiest way to begin a different path to help your fur baby recovery from skin allergies. If you have any questions feel free to send us an email.
Thank you for reading and continued health to all our dogs!